Butter Chicken is a delicious traditional Indian dish and is also known as Murgh Makhani.
This chicken is packed with flavor from fresh garlic and spicy ginger powder, not to mention the delicious traditional spice of garre masala. At only 218 calories per serving, this dish is just a fraction of the calories that are loaded into a traditional version, filled with butter and cream. Check out our step by step video to see how it’s made!
Better Indian Butterless Chicken
by Caitilin Perez, RDN
2 pounds chicken breast, diced into large chunks
2 cups Greek yogurt, divided
2 large garlic clove, divided
2 tablespoon ginger, divided
1 tablespoon garre masala
1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 cup onion, diced
1–24 oz. can pasta sauce
Fresh parsley for garnish
1) Marinate chicken with half of the garlic, ginger & yogurt. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, and up to several hours.
2) Cook chicken in batches, browning the meat, set aside. Chicken may not be cooked through, but will finish in the sauce.
3) Saute onion until translucent. Add remaining garlic and ginger until fragrant.
4) Add tomato sauce and spices to onion mixture. Simmer for 5-10 minutes to develop flavors.
5) Add chicken back into sauce until fully cooked.
6) Remove pan from heat and add Greek yogurt. Sprinkle with parsley, enjoy!
Enjoy with traditional Naan bread or rice. Don’t forget a veggie too! Try our Simple Steamed Garlic Broccoli!